Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Mr. Fantastic vs. Plastic Man

Uh, yeah. So in keeping with this site’s recent superhero theme I watched the Fantastic Four movies the other day, both of them. I don’t really have anything to say about them right now…maybe later. I never knew much about the Fantastic Four. In fact, right up until I watched the movies I think I always thought Plastic Man and Mr. Fantastic were the same person. (See, they’re not.)

That got me wondering, if Plastic Man and Mr. Fantastic fought, who’d win? Whoops—nothing original about that. See here, here, here, and here. The consensus seems to be that, maybe, Mr. F would win because he’s smarter.

Ah, but see, he doesn't have a chance. Because Ray Davies never wrote a song about Reed Richards. Check this out.
Now this is the genius of the Kinks. Maybe other songwriters could have explored in song the metaphorical possibilities of a superhero, but only the Kinks could have issued it as a single backed by an exploration-in-song of the metaphorical possibilities of one of the all-time great movie monsters. I mean, just contemplate that for a while. Has there ever been a more perfect a/b-side pairing? And then listen to the songs again and notice just how much they rock, dude.

Of course it was only a modest hit, and is forgotten today.

No comments: